Thursday, April 11, 2013

I Am Autism Fighter...Superhero


A few months ago I was in the store with my 7 year-old daughter and my soon to be 6 year-old twin boys. I noticed a woman staring at us or rather staring at my oldest twin.  I knew why she was staring. Here was a young boy, tall for his age, sitting in a cart and babbling like a baby.  I chose to ignore her. My daughter, who noticed the woman staring too, chose not to ignore her. She put her hands on her hips and with much attitude she said, “My brother has Autism. You can stop staring now! Dang!” Then she rolled her eyes and turned her back to the woman.

The woman looked at me and said, “You need to teach your daughter how to talk to adults.” I said, “You’re right.” I turned towards my little girl, who has made it her life’s mission to take care of her brother, and said, “The next time you talk to an adult like that, ease up on the attitude a little.” Then I winked at her. I looked at the woman and asked, “How was that?” The woman turned her nose up at me and walked off. 

I know some of you just gasped and thought to yourself, “How could she endorse such behavior?” I don’t. I teach my children to be respectful to everyone but when it comes to my son or any individual with Autism, it’s a whole different ball game. My alter ego emerges and I turn into: "Autism Fighter...Superhero! I rid the world of ignorance in the name of Autism!”

April is Autism Awareness Month. It’s the time of the year when the world pauses for a moment and recognizes those individuals, their families, the caregivers and the educators who are affected by Autism. With all the branding that goes on during this month, you would think that people would finally get it and be more sensitive. But they’re not. They still stare, make comments, laugh, turn up their nose or my favorite, offer unsolicited advice. When I come across these individuals,  Autism Fighter emerges each and every time and the outcome is rarely pretty.  Be patient with me, I’m still a work in progress. But until then, can I offer a little advice?

When you see a child in a restaurant sitting on top of the table eating his food, his parents are not bad parents. They know that in order for you and everyone else in the restaurant to enjoy their meal, it’s best to let the child sit on the table. Trust me, you’ll be ok.

When you come across a disruptive child in a library, store or church, they don’t need a “good whoopin'.” A scent, a sound, the people, even the lights could be causing a sensory overload.  

And before you say, “Just keep the kid at home.” It does not always work that way. A child with Autism can have a “meltdown” anywhere and at any time. And how fair is it to the child to keep them locked up in the house all time? We don’t keep you locked up for your quirks.

Here’s the bottom line, let’s make every day and every month Autism Awareness. If we did,  Autism Fighter’s secret identity, k.d. wilson, can once again emerge and live among us.

No comments:

Post a Comment