Friday, January 3, 2014

I Vow To...


A new year is upon us and with it the excitement of new things, new beginnings, new opportunities, new goals, new dreams and new resolutions. Ahhh, resolutions...a course of action determined or decided on.  They start out with good intentions but often times are forgotten and forsaken by the end of January. 

This year I did away with resolutions. Instead, I’m taking a page from one of St. Louis’s finest singing sensation, Theresa Payne (checkout her blog page: xsosblog.com). This year I’m making a vow…a solemn promise, pledge, or personal commitment. 

I vow to…

Love myself, my family and close friends like Linus loves his blanket
Bring even MORE awareness to autism (yall goin’ get tired of me – lol)
Not to diet or lose weight but to develop a healthier me
Laugh more and bring laughter to others
Continue to look for only the good in EVERY situation (translated means: remain positive)
Pursue my dreams and goals like a mad woman
Write something…anything…every day
Continue doing what I do best…Being Me

These vows are only a few and they are not just for the year but for a lifetime. If you noticed, I did not list anything spiritual (i.e. read my bible more, closer walk with God, fast and pray more, etc).  God and I already discussed our relationship and His requirements of me. All I can say is: Where much is known, much is required…smh.

Of course I couldn’t just leave well enough alone. Because I’m a visual person, I designed a pretty little postcard with my vows listed. I placed it on my laptop and I also sent it to my phone.

Like Theresa, I want to challenge you to make your own vows. Be sure to include things that will not only enrich you but will enrich others too.  Once you’re finished, raise you right hand and repeat after me:

I, ____________________, do solemnly vow, promise, pledge and personally commit my lifetime to these vows. I, ______________________, do solemnly vow, promise, pledge and personally commit not to limit myself to only the vows listed but to add more for as long as I live - to enrich not only my life but the lives of others.

2 comments: