Friday, January 16, 2015

Hello! My Name Is...


In the next few weeks, I will release my first book, Center Stage. It’s a collection of skits that I have written over the years and I am super excited! To create a buzz, I posted the book cover on social media. Within seconds I received a slew of “Congratulations!” and “I can’t wait!”  

Then I received this inbox message:

I saw your book cover. I know it’s none of my business but why aren’t you writing under your married name?  Don’t you think that it’s kind of disrespectful to your husband to not use his name? The name you took. The two of you are one and you should reflect it. Using your maiden name isn’t displaying a positive image about marriage to our young girls nor is it showing unity between you and your husband. I hope you think about what I’ve said and reconsider your chose of name.  

Well, I did think about it and I realize that they are right…it’s none of their business. But afford me this opportunity to shed some light about my name.

My biggest supporters have always been my parents. Everything I have ever done, been a part of or wanted to do, my mother and father were always there to cheer me on. When my father died unexpectedly, I told my husband that I wanted to use my maiden name when it came to my work…it’s my way of paying homage to my dad. My husband understood.

I know the person who inboxed me will read this blog, so this paragraph is for you and this is strictly my opinion.  A woman deciding NOT to use her husband’s name is not being disrespectful to him nor is she showing disrespect to the marriage. It does not show discord in the marriage or between the two. And it does not display a negative image about marriage. If it is something that’s agreed upon between the two people who are in covenant with one another, that’s all that matters. Your opinion is just that...your opinion. It does not make it right. You do you and allow the rest of us to do us. 

Now, with that being said, I would like to formally introduce myself:


Hello! My name is Kelley D. Wilson

1 comment:

  1. WELL!!!! Maybe next time people should possibly just ask. Writers use an alias all the time. Do we question that?

    ReplyDelete